My daughter is almost 3 and just had her first donut! I know – sad day! But, now she loves them and I might not ever get her to quit!
They are baked, so there is none of the grease that I don’t want in her body. They are egg- and dairy-free so I know she is safe. The sugar content…. well, they are donuts! And the Valentine’s theme makes them just a little extra special!
The awesome heart shaped pan comes from Wilton, and I adapted the recipe that came with it to make it allergy-friendly. You can use any donut pan for these – but I bet you can find these cute heart shaped ones at any craft store! And feel free to adapt the recipe for your family’s needs!
Egg- and Dairy-free Heart-Shaped Baked Donuts
Makes about 20 small donuts
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup Soy or Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 2 tbls. melted Smart Balance (always check label on these as there are so many varieties!)
- 1/4 tsp. of Cinnamon (more or less)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. It looks so pretty!
- Add soy milk, applesauce, and melted Smart Balance.
- Mix until just blended. Spoon into greased donut plan.
- Bake about 5 minutes. Then rest in the pan for about a minute.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. Dip each side of the donuts into the cinnamon sugar and plate.
- Try not to eat them all! Okay, just share a few with your allergy kids and then eat them all!
What special treats do you make for Valentine’s Day? Please share with me in the comments!
Join me each week for Allergy-friendly Fridays! I focus on avoiding peanut, egg, and milk allergens.